Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Share & Voice: Last Child in the Woods

A new term was introduced to me a couple of months ago: nature-deficit disorder.
This term was coined by a man named Richard Louv.
This new "disorder" really got me curious, and I wanted to learn more. So, this morning I checked out one of Louv's books from the UMD Library: The Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder.
(richardlouv.com)

I'm only on page 41 of 310, but I'm already hooked (and have a page of quotes and notes I want to remember).
The things that Louv talks about in these pages are so startling, interesting, and right in front of you. 

First, I will start with a definition:
"Nature-deficit disorder describes the human costs of alienation from nature, among them; diminished use of senses, attention difficulties, and higher rates of physical and emotional illnesses. This disorder can be detected in individuals, families and communities." (pg. 34)


One sentence instantly brought a scene from work to mind; one I had experienced only a couple of weeks ago.
"In 2002, another British study discovered that the average eight-year-old was better able to identify characters from the Japanese card trading game Pokemon than native species in the community where they lived: Pikachu, Metapod, and Wigglytuff were names more familiar to them than otter, beetle, and oak tree". (pg. 33)
I work at the First United Methodist church as a childcare provider. One little boy, Tommy, who is seven-years-old, brought his collection of Pokemon cards in to share and play with during a Wednesday night.  He was utterly shocked, almost appalled, that I couldn't name the Pokemon as he flashed the cards one after another.  Even then, I found it funny and crazy that he could memorize all of the names, skills and types of that huge stack of characters.  Looking back now, I wish I had a stack of my own cards... only with animals, bugs, birds and plants. 


I've barely even begun this book, but I have already been rocked by the reality of children's relationships with nature.  I would highly recommend this book: to parents, to educators, to aunts and uncles, and just to curious individuals (this disorder applies to us grown-ups too).  I am excited to keep reading and learning, and fully intend to read more of Louv's books. 

(sheknows.com)


4 comments:

  1. The term nature-deficit disorder is new to me. It is hard to believe that children today can not name bugs and oak trees but they can name fictional cartoon characters. My neighbor that babysat me when I was little told me this story last weekend when I was home about how I had this book of all the different species of fish in the Minnesota lakes and could name all of them and I was only 3. I think that we need to focus more on nature and not so much on all this fictional stuff that is on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I was surprised by the naming animals example too, although I think it is a little over-exaggerated (I hope at least).
    That's awesome you could name fish at only three! Talented!
    And, I agree about focusing on nature. Louv's big thing is that kids (and adults) don't get INTO nature enough. No one just goes and watches clouds go by, or uses their imagination in the woods. Everything has to be plugged in, high tech and fast-fast-fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really intersting topic Sierra. I too have talked to kids who have limited knowledge about nature. It's unfortunate that television is now more familiar than nature. This also demonstrates that perhaps the education system could do a better job of getting kids involved with learning in and about nature. Hope the book is both educational and enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is something I had never though of before. I think I know plenty of people who don't spend enough time outside enjoying nature. I think a lot of it is from all the computers and video games out now. When I was a kid we had to go outside to play, there wasn't much we could do sitting inside. Good find.

    ReplyDelete

Be Nice or Leave.