Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

1. Defining the following terms:

  • antiques/antiquing (found through a Google search of "define antiques" and "define antiquing" - definition is the first listing):
    • Verb: Make (something) resemble an antique by artificial means. 
    • Noun: A collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age.
    • And antiquing is shopping in stores where antiques are sold.
  • junk/junking (found through the same Google process):
    • Noun: Old or discarded articles that are considered useless or of little value. A flat-bottomed sailing vessel typical in China and the East Indies, with a prominent stem, a high stern, and lugsails. 
    • Verb: Discard or abandon unceremoniously.
    • Also a funnier, more "hip" definition found here at Urban Dictionary
    • Junking is defined as "Discard or abandon unceremoniously."  
  • flea market:
    • A flea market is a place where used or second-hand items are sold or traded. It can indoors, outdoors, big or small. Often includes food stands. 
  • thrift shop:
    • Savers is an example
    • A place to find used, donated items such as clothes and household supplies. 
    • A definition offered here
  • upcycling:
    • "Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value." found here
    • Popular with crafters (like me!)
    • Turning something you would normally throw out into something new!
  • resale shop:
    • "A charity shop, thrift shop, thrift store, hospice shop (U.S., Canada), resale shop (when not meaning consignment shop [U.S.]) or op shop (Australia/N.Z.) (from "opportunity shop") is a retail establishment operated by a charitable organization for the purpose of fundraising." -what came up when I Googled "define resale shop"
    • Another site said that any shop that sells gently-used goods are resale shops.
Part 2:
  1. The above terms have a lot to do with environmental health! They are all about saving things from ending up in dumps and polluting our planet. Instead, using them for new things! Reduce, REUSE, Recycle!
  2. Local Resources:
    1. Antiques: (for some reason I can't get the above picture to follow the "antiques"....). A quick Google search for "antique shops in duluth mn" produced all of those results! 
    2. Junk: Sweet Salvage - Buffalo, MN. Found here.
    3. Flea Market: Flea Portal lists different flea markets happening near Duluth.
    4. Thrift Shop: I love shopping at Value Village
    5. Upcycling: Sewing old clothes at Do It Green Minnesota
    6. Resale: Turn Style consignment shops.
  3. I do reuse and recycle things! I love to craft, and a lot of times that includes using stuff I already have. I love making mittens out of old sweaters I get for cheap at Savers. I've also made a wreath from an old sweater. Usually re-using things is a lot more budget friendly too, which is helpful to a college student like me!
Part 3:

  1. Junk Market
    1. A sign about wine. Honestly, I love wine. And I love funny little signs. Looks easy enough..
    2. A "junkmarket bride". I'm that classic girl who has been dreaming of her wedding for years, even though it's years away. I like unique and budget-friendly ideas.
    3. AWESOME - for sure going into my future yard!! Looks so comfy and fun and relaxing :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sierra!

    Sounds like you are a very crafty person. I'm sure you will do well on the junk project we have coming up. I too enjoyed the junkyard bride video. I personally thought it was such a cool idea to incorporate everything for a wedding in one place and at affordable pricing.

    By the way thank you for letting me know about my last blog post. Just an FYI remember we changed web members on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Thank you! I thought those groups started for this next week (after the reflection post)! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sierra! I love that you are so creative and love to make things. Like how you make mittens out of old sweaters. That is so cool! I also love the swinging bed that you found on Junk Market. I definitely want one of those too. I can't wait to see what you do for the Junk project. I know it will be great!

    ReplyDelete

Be Nice or Leave.