Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Reflection: Weeks 1-7

The first half of this class has taught me so much and really gotten me invested in issues happening in our environment.  I think the topics concerning food production and distribution have shocked me the most, and really made me think about my choices.
Watching the documentaries Fresh and The Future of Food might have been my favorite parts so far, along with the discussions that followed each.  The things I learn and the questions they raised stuck with me for hours after I left class.  I even called my best friend after "The Future of Food" and rambled about GM food for a while!

Also, the Huna principles we've been learning about have been very cool.  I've enjoyed all of them, but one has really stood out so far.  The first one we discussed, Ike: The world is what you think it is.  I've caught myself telling others about it, and also repeating it to myself.  This semester, mostly month of October, has presented me with a lot of challenges and opportunities to grow - ones that were scary and totally out of my comfort zone.  I usually try to be a positive person, but sometimes it's hard when it comes to my own problems or road blocks.  It's easy to help a friend or family member see the positives in their issues or situations, but much harder for yourself.  This concept of 'making the world what I want it to be' has opened even another door in that positivity I'm trying to apply to my life.
I'm excited to keep learning about our environment, making changes in my life, and doing the junk project!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your concept "making the world what I want it to be" very applicable to everything in this class! Good luck with your new goals and ambitions!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello new blog buddy :)
    The food topics in general also made a lasting impression on me. After watching Food Ink I now am way more cautious about what I am putting into my body. I have recently began purchasing organic food and I feel good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you that after class you leave with so many questions. This class definitely makes you think about the environment and makes you so much more aware of what you are doing and what you can do to help out the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There sure are a lot of new things brought up in this class. It's great to see that you are excited about it, and trying to apply it to your own life. The two documentaries about our food were my favorite things so far too.

    ReplyDelete

Be Nice or Leave.