Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Share & Voice: National Geographic


For this Share and Voice I chose to post about National Geographic.
Many of us are familiar with the name, either because of TV shows, the magazine or the photography.

I used to say I was going to be a National Geographic photographer when I grew up - travel the world, cover thrilling stories, and take spectacular photos.

National Geographic is an amazing source for current information on a wide range of topics - all related to nature, people, animals, the earth, our world.. the environment!

Since the photography is what really catches my attention, I'm going to share some National Geographic photos - famous and my favorites. (All found here)


"A lioness lets out a mighty yawn to shake away the sleep and be ready for the wildebeests which were headed in the direction of the pride. Soon after she walked away in the familiar swagger of a confident hunter and took up position under the bushes."

Lions are my favorite animal, and I loved this shot.







"The Cascade Room, some 80 feet (24 meters) beneath the surface, leads divers deeper into Dan's Cave on Abaco Island. Nearly seven miles (11 kilometers) of the cave have been explored since the mid-1990s."


It's amazing that places like this exist! Although I don't think I'd be brave enough to dive down there - good thing I chose a different career path!










King Tutankhamen’s Funerary Mask: "Icon of ancient Egypt, the teenage pharaoh's funerary mask immortalizes his features in gold, glass, and semiprecious stones. This and other treasures from his tomb, now in Cairo's Egyptian Museum, attract a constant swirl of visitors."


A piece of history. It is so interesting to read about discoveries like this one - and ones from around the world.





"Colorful shawls and flowered dresses accentuate these Bruneian girls as they practice for a traditional Malay family gathering. Their hands, folded together, symbolize humility and peace."


I love learning what other cultures do and value - using your hands and body to symbolize different things, and wearing garments that have been passed through generations. Sometimes I wish American's held things like this in higher regard.





"At an electric plant in southern Spain, mirrors as big as houses catch some of the 120 quadrillion watts of sunlight that constantly fall on Earth. Government subsidies for this pricey yet promising power source have made Europe the world's solar capital."


I wish the US would invest in more solar/renewable/clean energy. It might be expensive now, but it will pay off in the long run.






"I love all the empty space around the swimming platform. It shows how the lake is both huge and peaceful. The figures of the people become very small, and what makes the shot is the person jumping from the platform and appearing especially tiny surrounded by all that water."


Even our very own Lake Superior made the cut! Has anyone jumped of the ice house down by Canal Park?







If you are interested in learning more from National Geographic, you can visit their website here, which is also where you can sign up for a magazine subscription. I have one, and think it is definitely worth the monthly fee.
You can also follow them on Facebook! They often post current events, interesting facts, and of course beautiful photos!
And, if you use Netflix, they have a ton of documentaries and videos on instant-watch. I'm currently in the middle of The Photographers (of course), which uses a famous and stunning photo for it's cover.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. These pictures are amazing! I had no idea that Lake Superior made it in National Geographic. That is really cool! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the pictures Sierra! Thank you for sharing, I hope that I will some day be able to experience on of the photos in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was young whenever I was at my grandparents parents house I would spend hours looking at the pictures in their National Geographic's. they always seem to have some amazing things in there.

    ReplyDelete

Be Nice or Leave.