Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Share & Voice: Roxaboxen


"Marian called it Roxaboxen. (She always knew the name of everything.) There across the road, it looked like any rocky hill -- nothing but sand and rocks, some old wooden boxes, cactus and greasewood and thorny ocotillo -- but it was a special place: a sparkling world of jeweled homes, streets edged with the whitest stones, and two ice cream shops. Come with us there, where all you need to gallop fast and free is a long stick and a soaring imagination.In glowing desert hues, artist Barbara Cooney has caught the magic of Alice McLerran's treasured land of Roxaboxen -- a place that really was, and, once you've been there, always is." (here)

Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran was one of my favorite books growing up.  It's a short book filled with beautiful illustrations, and a wonderful story about a group of friends who build their own town out of just nature and few boxes. 

I always wanted to build my own Roxaboxen - it seemed like such a special and beautiful place.
But I did have my own similar adventures created by imagination when I was growing up.  That is the beauty of nature - when kids (and adults) are unleashed into it, magical and amazing things come out of them.  We don't need the computer games, television shows, or even books to provide us with hours of fun. 

I recommend this book to anyone of any age, if you haven't read it already.  And also encourage you to spend some more time outdoors, building your own version of a Roxaboxen. 





3 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you can highlight a book from your childhood. You make a good point that people don't need to use electronics as much as they do.
    Also, in response to your question about my phone book project...Yes I did cut it in half first :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think about doing a book. what a great choice. I need to start reading more, maybe I'll start with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this book when I was little! Such a good book! Thanks for sharing it and I hope that everyone who looks at your blog decides to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Be Nice or Leave.